Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sedentary Success

I'm sitting while I write this post. I've pretty much been sitting since I ran White Rock last Sunday. It was so sweet to wake up this morning, relaxed and ready to take on a day of sedentary simplicity. You see, normally I would be hyperventilating over the mileage I would have to run on a 'long run day,' but not today because I reached the pinnacle of my running career last sunday.

Shall I tell you a little about my not-so-little run?
I don't think I really need to elaborate on the above picture.

Note the moon still high in the sky.
Before the run:
We left for the race around 6:30.
It was freezing.
We took a trolly from the parking lot to the race area. After being dropped off, we found the porta-pottys and waited in line. Kris went into a porta-potty before me and, seconds later, stumbled back out. She told me I could use it, if I wanted to. If I wanted to? Well, isn't that why I'm standing in line?? I strolled toward the porta-potty and was met with the most horrific sight. I'll save the gory details- just imagine eating Chipolte, Qudoba, Freebirds, and a case of Diet Cokes and then using the tiniest bathroom ever and then not flushing and then locking someone inside. I was the person locked inside. Kristen's always got my back (note sarcasm).
After the porta-potty disaster, we headed to the start line, where everyone else seemed way too peppy. It's cold, people. It's cold and 7:30 in the morning, people. It's cold and 7:30 in the morning and we are about to run distances you should never force your body to run, people.
Suddenly though, out of the speakers blasted a sign from God, sort of. Kesha's "Tik Tok" started pumping and suddenly, cold turned to nippy, 7:30 in the morning turned to morning, and distances you should never force your body to run turned to 13.1 miles- piece of cake.
I was on top of the world...
Until "Tik Tok" ended...
...and I reevaluated my irrational optimism.

And then, we ran.
and ran. and ran.
For 13.1 miles.
Kris and I stayed together the entire time and high-fived at each mile marker. That seems trivial, but believe me, those high-fives kept me going. We ran through downtown, uptown, Highland Park- pretty much everywhere I've ever been in Dallas.

The worst part of the run for me was through Highland Park (miles 7,8&9), but after reaching mile 10, I didn't feel as hopeless and distraught. Right before the finish line, we ran past my mom and dad :] and then finished woot woot. I got a shiny medal and another RACE TEE-SHIRT, ate two bananas, and went to find my family.

After the race: [note the medals]
Thank you so much for reading my blog, guys! You all have been such a support during my training, and your donations for Heart House are going towards an amazing place. I'm so grateful for all the encouragement I've gotten and appreciate all you lovely people in my life!

Here are some comics that I never posted.


I couldn't decide which speech bubble I liked below. So I tried both. Thoughts? >>


I'm really sad to say adios
sooo, I will say

LATER SKATERZZZ

-$terling

3 comments:

  1. On to the Rock and Roll Half Marathon!
    Your training has just begun young Skywalker!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? You're not gonna do a marathon?! Slacker!

    Does this mean no more blogs? I look forward to these things.

    Woo-Hoo!!!!! Way to go Sterling and Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss the blog, sister. :( time to gear up for round two. right? right?!?!

    ReplyDelete